Sunday, March 4, 2012

Blueberry Banana Bread.

I will start out with an apology for not writing in so long. I could provide a million excuses and even try to catch you up on life since November, but I am certain that the few people reading could just text and ask me if they wanted to know :-)

I was motivated to write after Adam mentioned our lack of posts and asked the question, "How are going to be a famous food blogger if you never blog?"

Well, I doubt that, even if I blog daily, I'll ever be able to quit my day job on account of it, but I should share the recipes that we have been enjoying in our kitchen lately.

Here's one for starters:
Blueberry Banana Quick Bread (revised from saffronstreaks.com)
  • all purpose flour : 2 cups
  • Sugar : 1/2 cup
  • Honey : 1/2 cup
  • Salt to taste
  • Baking powder : 1/4 tsp
  • Baking soda : 1 tsp
  • Eggs : 2 large
  • Cooking oil : 2/3 cup
  • Ripe bananas (mashed) : 2
  • Orange juice : squeezed from one orange
  • Grated rind of orange ; from one large orange
  • Blueberries (or other fruit such as dried cranberries) : 1/2 cup
  • Chopped walnuts : 1/4 cup
  • Pecan for topping


What to do:
  1. Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda in a large mixing bowl.
  2. Add sugar, honey, mashed bananas, chopped walnuts, blueberries and orange rind.
  3. In a separate bowl, mix together the beaten eggs, orange juice and oil until well combined.
  4. Add the mixture to the dry ingredients and mix by hand until well combined.
  5. Pour the mixture into two small or one large prepared loaf pans (I covered the bottom with parchment paper and it came out easily but I don't think this step is necessary).
  6. Sprinkle the pecans on top of the bread.
  7. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 F for about 45 hour , until firm to touch or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (The larger the loaf, the longer it will take to cook, up to one hour and ten minutes).
  8. Turn out the loaf and cool on a wire rack.
  9. You can freeze one loaf and the other can be kept on the counter for a few days or in the fridge for a longer life. This is great warmed up with a little butter for a quick weekday breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment