I mixed up some simple jalapeno cheddar cornbread to go along with it for a hearty and delicious cool weather meal. However, it was not very cool on Wednesday. Spring has arrived early here in the heart of dixie, or maybe it never left :-) Anywho, this was a delicious meal no matter the weather. Perhaps you can enjoy the oddity of sweet potatoes in your chili sometime soon.
Sweet Potato Chili (from canyoustayfordinner.com)
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes (I did not have so I used a larger container of tomatoes and added a little tomato sauce and tomato paste)
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1” pieces
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 15 ounce can kidney beans
- 15 ounce can black beans
- 1 lb ground beef (This is optional. If you are going to use it, I would brown the meat beforehand. I think chicken would also make a lovely pairing)
Directions (I love how short these are)
Combine all ingredients in the base of your slow cooker and stir to mix well. Cook on low for 10 hours.
Jalapeno and Cheddar Cornbread (from honeyandjam.com)
- oil or butter, for greasing your pan
- 3/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup of yellow cornmeal
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 cup of butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cup of buttermilk
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (I used a mexican blend)*
- 1/4 cup diced jalapenos (fresh or pickled)*
Turn on your oven to 400 to preheat.
Grease in the inside of a cast iron pan (or cake pan), place in the oven to preheat as well.
In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
In another bowl, combine melted butter, egg and buttermilk.
Pour milk mixture into the flour mixture, along with cheese and jalapenos. Stir until just combined. Its A-OK if there are still a few lumps in the batter.
Remove pan from over, carefully. Pour batter into the pan, return to oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Enjoy alongside chili or your favorite soup.
**Jalapenos and cheddar can be easily omitted for a simple cornbread.